St. Charles Public Library District was established
originally as the St. Charles Township Public Library
in 1906. In 1979, the Township Library was converted
by referendum to a Library District, an independent
and autonomous unit of local government.
The Library is governed by an elected, seven-member
Board of Trustees which is responsible for the Library's
finances and for the formulation of its policies. Trustees
serve 6-year terms. The Library Board meets regularly
once a month, except August.
Board appoints the Library Director, who is responsible
for the administration of the Library. The current
Director is Diana Brown. The Library has a departmental structure,
with advisory teams established along general library
functions. The heads of the departments report to the
Director and supervise the staffs and functions of their