Information and Useful Facts about School Services
for Grades K - 8
As part of our mission to support the educational efforts of our community, the St. Charles Public Library provides special services to educators at elementary and middle schools located in our Library District.
All teachers at schools located in the St. Charles Public Library District are entitled to the services listed below. St. Charles Public Library card holders who teach at schools outside the Library’s district are encouraged to contact the public library serving their school. Most public libraries offer special services to educators who teach in their service areas.
Bookmark the site and have easy access to:
- Ask a Librarian - Chat online with a St. Charles Public Library reference librarian.
- Beginning Reader Books by Reading Level - Find lists of book titles with reading levels 1.0 – 3.9 in our JR Reader collection.
- You’ve Got to Read This! - A database of book reviews written by St. Charles Library readers and staff. Find a great book. You can also set up an account and have your students add reviews.
- Recommended Reading and Research Guides - These resources created by ASK ME Desk staff contain lists of books on various subjects. Research Guides also include online resources.
- Access to our Library catalog.
- Online tutor assistance for your students in controlled chat sessions is available from
Live Homework Help. Screened tutors are available 7 days a week from 2 to 9 p.m. in English or Spanish. This service is available to any student at the Library. Outside the Library, a St. Charles Library card is needed for access.
- Discover Your Library! Newsletter includes information on services, programs, and special events.
- Links to great Internet Sites.
Teacher Library Accounts
Teachers who work at schools located in the Library’s district may sign a form at their school indicating that they would like a library account. The principal of the school submits a list of faculty authorized to check out materials for the educational needs of the school and agrees to be responsible to the St. Charles Public Library for all materials borrowed on their behalf. The account can be used by presenting a photo I.D. at the Circulation Desk in Adult Services.
|Audio Books, CDs, & Kits
|| 3 weeks
|VHS or DVD
- Materials may be renewed by contacting our Circulation Department at (630) 584-0076, then touch “0.”
- Standard fines for overdue items, generally $0.10 per item per day, will be charged.
Teacher Loan Service
The Youth Services staff is happy to assist you by selecting materials for your classroom. Simply contact us with the topics of your choice at least 5 business days before you would like your materials. We will select materials, check them out, and place them in a convenient bag to be picked up by you. Materials are available for up to a 5-week loan period.
You can request a Teacher Loan by completing the online form, emailing Youth Services, or contacting Youth Services by phone at (630) 584-9390.
Help your students have a more successful research experience by letting us know about major assignments in advance. Fax assignments to 630-584-9262 Attention: Youth Services, email assignments to Youth Services, or use the Assignment Alert form on our website. We will post the assignment with a suggested starting point for students to begin their research at the Library.
Library Visits / Librarian Visits
Your students can learn what their Library has to offer with a trip to the Library or a visit from a librarian. Programs can be customized to include the following:
- a Library tour (in person or virtual)
- an introduction to online research resources
- an introduction to reference book resources
- book talks
- information about reading programs and library services.
Library staff is also available for presentations at staff or PTO meetings and to display information and answer questions at book fairs, literacy nights, curriculum nights, and open houses.
Contact A. Denise Farrugia at (630) 584-0076, ext. 236 or email Denise at least 4-8 weeks in advance for the best selection of dates beginning Aug.15.
Student Use of Computers in Youth Services
The Library has computers with access to our Online Resources and Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher. No library card is required to use these computers, but sign-in at the ASK ME Desk is required to use the Microsoft Office software.
The Library also has Internet stations for students with St. Charles Library cards whose parents have reviewed our Internet policy and signed a permission form.
Online Resources for Students at the Library
The following resources are available for anyone to use at computers in Youth Services. Remote use does require a St. Charles Public Library card:
- Library Catalog
- Online Resources for Students - These databases are commercial products for which the Library pays a subscription for in-house and remote users. They contain articles, photographs, maps, and other kinds of information which has been thoroughly and carefully chosen, reviewed, fact-checked, and is updated on a regular basis.
Call us to schedule an online resource orientation. We can show your students that the power to research is at their keyboards. Contact A. Denise Farrugia by email or (630) 584-0076 ext. 236 to schedule.
Use of Library Computers in Adult Services by Teachers
Anyone can use the Electronic Resources Stations in Adult Services for access to our online encyclopedias and databases. The Premium Search Databases found on these computers include all of the Library’s online resources, student, and adult. Several have helpful educator tools.
Internet use is also available at our Express and Short Use computer stations with a photo ID. Please stop at the Information Services Desk.
A personal St. Charles Library card is required to use Library computers in the Technology Center.
Schools Located in the St. Charles Public Library District
Bethlehem Preschool Center
Bridges Montessori Academy
First Steps Preschool
The Goddard School
KinderCare Learning Center
St. Mark’s Nurturing Center
Two Rivers Head Start/ Valley View Center
Anderson Elementary School
Corron Elementary School
Davis Elementary School
Ferson Creek Elementary School
Fox Ridge Elementary School
Lincoln Elementary School
Munhall Elementary School
Norton Creek Elementary School
Richmond Elementary School
Wild Rose Elementary School
Haines Middle School
Thompson Middle School
Wredling Middle School
St. Charles East High School
St. Charles North High School
Mid Valley Special Education Co-op
Wayne Elementary School
Bridges Montessori Academy
St. Patrick’s School